Test Cases for Imaging Document Consumer (2018)
This document describes testing requirements for the Imaging
Document Consumer actor in the IHE XDS-I.b integration profile.
Imaging Document Consumer will perform tests using the XDS Toolkit
software from NIST and also ATNA security tests using the Gazelle
software. The test procedure includes:
- Execute all tests listed at the bottom of this page without
- Repeat all tests listed at the bottom with TLS enabled
- Execute the following No Peer tests that appear in Gazelle for
The tests for an Imaging Document Source use a fixed set of
images as input data. The test data has departmental patient
identifiers in the DICOM files (e.g., those used in the Radiology
Department when the images are acquired) and identifiers for the
test Affinity Domain. There is no assigning authority for the
departmental identifiers. The assigning authority for the Affinity
The Imaging Document Consumer tests assume a standard testing
- A standard test set is created that contains imaging data and
associated KOS objects. The standard test images are identified
by patient identifier and are listed with each test as
- The test software does not provide a mapping mechanism between
the patient identifier in the image and the patient identifier
in the Affinity Domain. It is the responsibility of the Imaging
Document Consumer to use the correct patient identifier for the
- The Imaging Document Consumer is instructed to send query and
retrieve requests to the testing system. The logging mechanism
of the simulators in the testing system records the requests.
The testing system supports retrieves using the RAD-55 (WADO)
and RAD-69 (SOAP) transactions. Traditional DICOM C-Move
transactions are not supported. The Imaging Document Consumer
under test needs to complete all tests using RAD-55 transactions
or all tests using RAD-69 transactions. The Imaging Document
Consumer may test both RAD-55 and RAD-69 transactions if both
- The test manager reviews the Imaging Document Consumer
requests captured by the test system simulators.
Certain toolkit management functions are password protected and
must be performed by the test administrator. Please follow these
||Your Imaging Document Consumer will need to communicate
with a set of simulators. The detailed instructions below
will tell you how to obtain the configuration information
for the simulators.
||Provide test administrator with configuration parameters
for your Imaging Document Consumer.
- Create a SYSTEM within the XDS Toolkit that uses the
supplied configuration parameters.
- In this system, include only the Imaging Document
Consumer configuration. Do not double up with other
||Create a testing SESSION for this Imaging Document
Consumer. The system under test should use only this SESSION
and no others.
||Use only the testing ENVIRONMENT and testing SESSION
assigned by the administrator when testing your Imaging
Document Consumer. Do not test other actors using this
||It is expected that the user will execute the tests and
the administrator will review results when the tests are
complete. The user may execute individual or all tests
multiple times. Each time you execute a test, the toolkit
will overwrite the previous results in the test SESSION for
- In the web user interface, make sure you have selected the
proper testing ENVIRONMENT and proper testing SESSION.
- In the lower left flap of the toolkit, select Conformance
- Activate the teal/green Test Context control (right side of
conformance tests). Select your SYSTEM as the system under test.
- Select the Imaging Document Consumer tab.
- Check the Reset box and activate the button: Initialize
Testing Environment. This will create a set of simulators and
load test patients into those simulators.
- Wait for the environment initialization steps to complete. You
should see initilization steps under the heading Supporting
Environment Configuration turn green.
- The display will show you the configuration parameters for the
simulator. Use that data to configure your Imaging Document
Consumer. Please note that you can initialize the
environment any number of times. The simulators will always be
created with the same endpoints. You will not have to
reconfigure your Imaging Document Consumer if you decide to
initialize the testing environment again.
- Imaging Document Consumer tests are not automated. They
require your system to initiate transactions. You will initiate
the transactions for each test, and the administrator will
review query and retrieve requests captured by the testing
system. The trashcan icon clears the log/test results.
- As stated above, you can run the test cases and review the
results on your own schedule. Contact the administrator with
questions or to verify results.
Instructions for individual tests are stored in the toolkit. The
links below provide static copies of the documentation that do not
rely on toolkit access.